667 Boy Scout Road
Learn more in-depth about the seven principles of Leave No Trace and best practices for implementing them in a hands-on environment, including how to teach them to others.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Boy Scouts and Venturers age 14 and older, crews attending treks at Philmont or Northern Tier, adult Scout leaders in all programs (Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Venturing), summer camp staff, Campmasters, District & Council training team members
• How to minimizing impact in the outdoors by making informed and conscientious decisions.
• Hands-on activities and games to illustrate the importance and meaning of the Leave No Trace principles.
• Backcountry techniques, such as how to select a campsite, hang and use a bear bag, dig a cat hole, dispose of dishwater, and build a mound fire.
• Introduced to concepts and methods that will advance your knowledge of Leave No Trace issues in both developed and high adventure environments, expand your repertoire of low-impact skills.
• Effective ways to teach others about Leave No Trace, including teaching presentations by all participants
Registration deadline: April 13th
Check in: Friday, April 20 at 7:00 pm
Departure: Sunday, April 22 by noon
Cost: $50 per adult participant
$45 per youth participant
• A desire to learn more about LNT and to teach others about it
• Prepare a presentation on one of the LNT principles to deliver on course (will be assigned prior to arrival)
All participants will receive an email on April 6th with their teaching assignment, equipment list, and campsite location.
On completion of this course, participants will be registered as Leave No Trace Trainers with the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and with the BSA. Students will receive Leave No Trace teaching materials, a certificate of course completion, a Leave No Trace Trainer lapel pin, and a BSA Leave No Trace Trainer card.
Pastor Scott Johnston
Council Outdoor Ethics Advocate